Thursday, November 19, 2009

(2) Comments

Mets Yearbook 1984

Typing as I watch Mets Yearbook 1984 on SNY.  1984 was my favorite Mets season of them all since I had never known anything but 5th or 6th place.

So good to hear Bob Murphy
This rookie Darling looks promising.
The blue uniforms look so much better than the black...even the v-necks and racing stripes look good.
First place tie at the end of April!  You don't know how exciting that was.

Strawberry Sunday.  One of the great promotions of all time, unless you were an ice cream vendor.  We all got free ice cream.

Interesting to me that as I look at the crowd, even in 1984 I don't see much blue.  Sure you see some blue hats and no black (since it didn't exist yet) but the crowd is wearing anything.  I guess we've never had Uniform Unanimity.

I miss the old blue jackets with the names on the back (unless the name is Madoff).

The uniforms 16, 17 and 18 are worn by the correct players.  Stop giving these out to anybody who shows up to be a 6th outfielder.  Well, to me, 16 belongs to Mazzilli but they can share.

Once again the Mets had something called "Banner Day."  What a nice way to build a community with your fans.

They are predicting great things for this kid Gooden.  Murphy says he will be "the little child who leads the Mets" in years to come.

Darling was best when wearing #44.  Never should've switched Ronnie.

Apparently Bruce Berenyi will do well for us in 1985, says Bob.   He says the same about Sid Fernandez.

Tom Gorman...yeah there's a name.

I love when Bob talks about how fans came out in droves...and the video shows the mezz and uppers empty.

We had a 4.5 lead over the Cubs.  Sniff.

Keith looks so effortless at first.

I find I have no warm feelings about George Foster.

Cubs took us 7 of 8 in the summer.   Yuck.  That whole Cubsbusters thing (not mentioned here) was so much fun.  

Bob predicts big things for 1985 and mentions Rafael Santana, Kelvin Chapman and Ron Gardenhire as reasons why (oops) but also includes Knight and Hojo.  With Knight and Hojo I wonder if they could move Hubie Brooks for a catcher in the off-season?

Bob is also correct that Calvin Schiraldi will help the Mets win a championship...but not for the reasons he thinks!

Nice to see the real Apple young and its prime, not this new phony apple.

At the end they really pre-sold Carter.   27 HRs and 106 RBIs from a catcher in 1984...thats a great pickup.  

Weird to see Pete Rose in an Expos uniform.

Strawberry is so so so so thin.  No steroids in that body.

And the big laugh is right at the end...the Mets were named BASEBALL'S BEST ORGANIZATION for the second year in a row.   I have to go laugh my fanny off now.   Another fun film....the quality of the film itself is poor with dark and washed out colors...and I'd like to make a Lucasfilm-style "special edition" using some archives teh Cubs might have (the Mets-Cubs thing was big) but SNY should keep these coming!






Main Mets Police page
Follow us on twitter @metspolice
Facebook page
send ideas/guest columns to shannon at metspolice.com

Bookmark and Share
2 Responses to "Mets Yearbook 1984"
Anonymous said :
November 19, 2009 at 8:35 PM
I thought the Gooden section was a little bit sad, but I'm enjoying these old "propaganda" films.
DyHrdMET said :
November 20, 2009 at 7:55 AM
the blue jerseys in the early 80s (shown in that film) look hideous. and so did the film quality in 1984. should have used TV quality or something (Family Ties or Cheers on TV from that year doesn't look that bad).

it's always good to hear Bob Murphy. I have a sound byte of his on my blog for that reason.
http://RememberingShea.blogspot.com

Post a Comment