Wednesday, December 30, 2009

(6) Comments

1965 Tug McGraw Mets jersey


Who am I to question Mitchell and Ness, but I am unfamiliar with the Mets having giant numbers like these. I guess I could look it up in the style guide but I have been resisting looking at the guide because I know I will wind up writing 20 articles.

Anyway here's a 1965 McGraw jersey.  This is where I say it looks better than anything they wear now.

#56 huh?  I kinda want this.



Main Mets Police page
Follow us on twitter @metspolice
Facebook page
send ideas/guest columns to shannon at metspolice.com

Bookmark and Share
6 Responses to "1965 Tug McGraw Mets jersey"
Anonymous said :
December 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM
It looks like a decent match for the style - Grey Flannel Auctions sold Galen Cisco's jersey earlier this month if you want to see some pictures for comparison.

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=21682&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=1&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1

I think Casey Stengel or Buddy Harrelson would have been better choices, though -- who's going to associate #56 with Tug McGraw (or anyone else who ever played for the Mets?)
Hotrod said :
December 30, 2009 at 5:34 PM
I don't ever believe Met numbers were that big!
The Phillies of the 60's had very big numbers.
casey cadet said :
December 30, 2009 at 6:33 PM
A quick look at Mets By The Numbers (mbtn.net) shows that Tug only wore 45. Hmmmmm, have to check into that one a little more.
casey cadet said :
December 31, 2009 at 2:28 PM
Maybe we should question Mitchell and Ness because Uniwatch says that Tug never wore 56 either. How do you get away with a mistake like that?
Hotrod said :
January 2, 2010 at 12:09 PM
I contacted Mitchell and Ness about the #56 mystery. Tug NEVER wore that number...where did they get 56 from. I was told he wore that number in spring training...my response was ....so what!!!!??? Why would anyone buy this????
Still waiting for their response. I think they just screwed up.
SS said :
January 3, 2010 at 9:13 AM
Great job Frank, I'm going to reach out to UniWatch to see what they say, and I guess I should open the style guide today. Uh oh (major time vacuum alert).

Post a Comment