I was there, in the upper reaches of the upper deck. I went up to the stadium that morning and was able to get a ticket.
Things I remember about that day:
- Perfect summer day - you couldn't ask for better weather.
- It was Phil Rizzuto Day and the Yankees gave Scooter a cow - which proceeded to knock him over
- At one point during the Rizzuto ceremony the crowd started going wild. Phil thought it was for him but it was actually Seaver walking across the field.
- I thought it was amazing that number 41 beat a guy wearing 41 (Joe Cowley) by a score of 4-1. AND the Mets won that day also by a score of 4-1
- Hearing all of Yankee Stadium chanting "Let's Go Mets" - you will never hear that again
- It was the last really good game that Seaver would pitch. He's win just 11 more over the next 1 1/2 years. But that afternoon, he was Tom Terrific one last time.
Main Mets Police page
Follow us on twitter @metspolice
send ideas/guest columns to shannon at metspolice.com