Monday, January 04, 2010

(3) Comments

Five Questions For An Average Mets Fan (Fan #80)

We're heading toward the end of our "Five Questions" series (I think we've gotten everyone in), and with just two to go here's Dan who writes some of the articles here on the Mets Police.


1. When did you start following the Mets?

Well, I have some home movies from 1969 (I was 2) where I am wearing a plastic Mets batting helmet (and putting it on).   My earliest clear memory is from the 1973 season, being at Shea cheering Willie Mays

2. What is your favorite Mets memory?

Three memories
1)    I was at the NL East clinching game in September 1986.  The emotions were so high and the frustration had been building for so long.  I still remember as the last out settled into Hernandez’ glove people in the upper deck started hugging each other, some kissing one another. Bottles of champagne appeared from nowhere.  And yes, I did run down on the field.  I stood at where second base would have been and just took it all in
2)    July 20, 1985.  My younger brother and I were at Shea.  The Mets beat Atlanta 16 – 4, Straw hit 2 HRs and Doc got the win.  But what made that day special were 2 things.  After the game my brother and I snuck up into the press box area and wandered around the boxes – even picking up the press release on the Mets acquisition of Tom Paciorek.  After we left the stadium we saw Bud Harrelson leaving with his wife and kids.  Two other guys started to go towards him to get an autograph but stopped when they saw he had his kids. Bud got to his car, and after putting his kids in, called the 2 other guys over to sign for them.  I saw this and went to grab my brother.  By the time we started towards Bud he was already back in his car and had started it up.  He saw us and got out of the car to sign for us.  I’ll never forget that
3)    July 12, 2008 – We took my mom to what would be her last game at Shea.

3. What is your worst Mets memory or experience?

July 8, 2000 – I was at the game that Clemens beaned Piazza.  As bad as the actual beaning was, what was worse were the Yankee fans chanting “Bye Bye Mikey”

4. If you could change one off-field thing about the franchise what would it be?

The owner

5. If you owned the team starting tomorrow, what is the first thing you would change? 

I’d put a statue of Tom Seaver outside the stadium, in the area I would call William A. Shea Plaza



Main Mets Police page
Follow us on twitter @metspolice
Facebook page
send ideas/guest columns to shannon at metspolice.com

Bookmark and Share
3 Responses to "Five Questions For An Average Mets Fan (Fan #80)"
Anonymous said :
January 4, 2010 at 3:38 PM
Wasn't it Magadan who caught the last out in '86 NL East clincher?
SS said :
January 4, 2010 at 9:50 PM
I'm half-asleep but I remember Magadan playing that night. The boxscore suggests Magadan started and Keith finished up. Nice touch by Davey. I'm sure everyone but me remembers clearly.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=198609170NYN
Anonymous said :
January 4, 2010 at 9:59 PM
Mags did start because Keith had a bit of "the flu." Keith came out to play defense in the 9th inning so that all the regulars would be on the field for the last out.

Post a Comment