Leading off today's 5 Questions For An Average Mets Fan is Kevin. As we've been doing we'll mix in the 5 questions with other business throughout the day.
1. When did you start following the Mets?
1981. It was the first year I went to Shea, and I was handed a baseball by Reggie Smith, of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
2. What is your favorite Mets memory?
Three-way tie for this one. And one answer won't make Shannon too happy. All three games I saw in person:
1. Sept. 21, 2001 -- The Piazza Homerun. Having been in Jersey City on Sept. 11, 2001, there was no better way for me to celebrate my 27th birthday (Sept. 21) than to see Piazza hit that homer.
2. Oct. 25, 1986 -- I may have only been 12, but I would have missed the entire bottom half of the 10th inning had I had my way. My mother refused to leave or to let me leave. Man am I glad she didn't.
3. Last day of the regular season 1999 -- From a pure excitement perspective, that wild pitch was something else. And to have been at Shea that day was something. Still never could understand, though, why Mike Piazza just stood there with his hands on his hips. Perhaps he really wanted to swing.
3. What is your worst Mets memory or experience?
September of 1998, 2007 & 2008 -- all very close in horror.
4. If you could change one off-field thing about the franchise what would it be?
Ownership. I have no faith in the Wilpons. Since Nelson Doubleday sold, look at what we've experienced. Also, I'd consider reassigning Charlie Samuels to another position within the organization, one where he had nothing to do with uniform ring-around-the-rosie.
5. If you owned the team starting tomorrow, what is the first thing you would change?
Uniforms, obviously. The rumored cream-colored pinstripes would be standard at every home game, with blue caps/helmets/socks. The black would be a distant memory -- eternally. On the road, the traditional grey with the same blue setup. No other combos.
Additionally, Bobby Valentine wouldn't just be my manager, he'd be my general manager, team president and COO. I'd pay him anything he asked for. And he'd have a blank checkbook.
If you are visiting The Mets Police for the first time, welcome.
This blog aims to be a little different. We're less likely to complain about a pitching change than we are likely to complain about what the pitcher was wearing.
We're about Mets history and tradition. We'd like to see a Seaver statue at Citi Field. We'd like the black uniforms to go away. We'd like the team to always treat the fans with respect.
We're just regular old Mets fans like you who have migrated from the uppers to the Promenade where we were saddened when we found plexiglass. Finally, for all our complaining we just want the franchise to win the World Series (while nicely dressed).
The site is updated several times a day, usually morning, noon, and night (cliche but true) with other items as they come in.
Mets Police in no way claims to be news nor accurate, including anything to which we link. It's just a blog. Read the blog and/or take our advice at your own risk.
We strongly encourage everyone to support the New York Mets and their business partners, just don't wear a black jersey while doing so.
You get to pick 5 Mets. Who's your top 5? Doesn't this picture just make you happy? Click it and weigh in.
Most Popular (Jan 17)
New batting practice caps for 2010, Jason Bay t-shirts, McGwire shocks the world by announcing he took steroids, Beltrangate and more. Click the pic.
I asked fans for a list of Mets traditions, and we didn't come up with many. How is Banner Day any harder to have than a Mr. Met Dash? Either way it's people walking on dirt. Click the pic for the list.
Ticket office anecdotes
A collection of anecdotes related to Mets tickets, and my suggestion the Mets return 7 game packs and make Promenade Left the place to be. Click the pic.
1986 Tickertape Parade
Dan's photos from the 1986 tickertape parade. You know, 25 seasons ago when the Mets won?
My Mets man-date wish
Call me nutty, and I don't expect him to say yes or even know about this..but here's who I'd like to see a game with. Click the link and I'll tell you what we'll do.
Pix: trainer's room + clubhouse
Jimmy went on the season ticket holder's tour and took some photos including the Mets clubhouse and the infamous trainer's room. Click the pic.
The Mets Respond To Our Letter
Dan from Mets Police wrote the Mets a letter, Craig Marino the VP of Guest Experience called him back, and responded to many of our criticisms. A must read, click the pic.