Monday, December 28, 2009

(0) Comments

Five Questions For An Average Mets Fan (Fan #72)

Today's average Mets fan is Eric.



1. When did you start following the Mets?


1976, the summer I was 10 years old, and opened my first pack of baseball
cards to see Tom Seaver staring back at me from the top of the deck (no
kidding).My friend nearly choked on his bubble gum. I’ve been hooked ever since.


2. What is your favorite Mets memory?


I was actually at the Grand Slam Single game, but my favorite memory is
going to my first game at Shea with my grandfather. I looked out at the expanse
of the place and asked what all the green stuff was sitting outside the field
of play. Turns out it was the outfield. I spent most of the game trying to
comprehend how anything could be so immense. I’ve felt the same way about the
game since.


3. What is your worst Mets memory or experience?


Sitting in the stands for Game Four of the ’88 playoffs, ninth inning, two
balls no strikes to Mike Scioscia. I turned to my friend and actually said “can
this guy hit home runs?” and then watched the ball bounce a few times in the
bullpen. The team has never recovered. I feel kind of responsible.


4. If you could change one off-field thing about the franchise what would it be?


Remind ownership what makes the Mets the Mets (their “brand”, if you will)
is that they are a team that plays smart, small baseball, with great defense, great pitching,
good hitting and a ton of heart. They’re not the Yankees. If I wanted to root
for the Yankees I would (and I don’t). Oh, and give me a manager like Bobby
Valentine again.


5. If you owned the team starting tomorrow,what is the first thing you would change?


Here’s a team that gave their fans two years straight of epic, end of the
year, heartbreaking collapses followed by the most unwatchable, uninspired
season of baseball since M. Donald Grant left town. I hate to have anyone lose
their jobs, especially now, but it’s hard to see why the current GM should be
back. I hope I’m wrong.


Main Mets Police page
Follow us on twitter @metspolice
Facebook page
send ideas/guest columns to shannon at metspolice.com

Bookmark and Share
0 Responses to "Five Questions For An Average Mets Fan (Fan #72)"

Post a Comment