I'm looking back at some of my favorite posts, here's one that suggests that without Murph there can be no happy recaps. From 2/24/09 it's The Curse of Bob Murphy
I was watching highlights of the 2000 World Series last night and a few things came to mind.
1. I have no attachment to that team or the players on it whatsoever. I know this is controversial especially for a Mets fan, but that team just lacks something. It's hard for me to get excited about Al Leiter and Todd Pratt. Sorry, that's how I feel.
2. It's funny to hear everyone talk about how historic that World Series will be, and how people will be "talking about this one in 40 years." Somehow I don't think so. It's kind of a forgetful one to be honest. Sort of like the 1973 World Series - you tend to think of the season more than getting beaten by the A's.
3. The black uniforms with black hats are so so so horrible. It looks like a softball team showed up. What were the Mets thinking?
4. There's one significant Met who I think was on steroids. I floated this once before but I know if I voice the name I will be lynched. Deep down you know who it is, don't you?
5. John Franco. Why is he in camp? Is he there to teach K-Rod and Putz how to shut down a team 1-2-3-4-5? You know, sprinkle in a double and a walk just to keep it interesting?
6. Bob Murphy. Wow Murph was good. I've kind of gotten used to Howie (he who sees 40,000 in the stands when there is clearly not) and all the Gary Cohen imitators they have trotted in and out - but Murph was so much better, which leads us to...
THE CURSE OF BOB MURPHY.
With no Murph there can be no happy recaps. The ending must always be a disaster since Murphy isn't there to happily recap it. How could the Mets have gotten into the playoffs on September 28th without Bob to tell us about it. No, the team is destined to have Howie Rose express disappointment.
How can the Mets solve this? I don't have any ideas. A Murph-bot? Have the production guys whip up a "The Happy Recap" intro for Mets Extra? Get rid of Willie? Oh wait they did that last one - I'm pretty sure that's what the curse was all along.
If you are visiting The Mets Police for the first time, welcome.
This blog aims to be a little different. We're less likely to complain about a pitching change than we are likely to complain about what the pitcher was wearing.
We're about Mets history and tradition. We'd like to see a Seaver statue at Citi Field. We'd like the black uniforms to go away. We'd like the team to always treat the fans with respect.
We're just regular old Mets fans like you who have migrated from the uppers to the Promenade where we were saddened when we found plexiglass. Finally, for all our complaining we just want the franchise to win the World Series (while nicely dressed).
The site is updated several times a day, usually morning, noon, and night (cliche but true) with other items as they come in.
Mets Police in no way claims to be news nor accurate, including anything to which we link. It's just a blog. Read the blog and/or take our advice at your own risk.
We strongly encourage everyone to support the New York Mets and their business partners, just don't wear a black jersey while doing so.
You get to pick 5 Mets. Who's your top 5? Doesn't this picture just make you happy? Click it and weigh in.
Most Popular (Jan 17)
New batting practice caps for 2010, Jason Bay t-shirts, McGwire shocks the world by announcing he took steroids, Beltrangate and more. Click the pic.
I asked fans for a list of Mets traditions, and we didn't come up with many. How is Banner Day any harder to have than a Mr. Met Dash? Either way it's people walking on dirt. Click the pic for the list.
Ticket office anecdotes
A collection of anecdotes related to Mets tickets, and my suggestion the Mets return 7 game packs and make Promenade Left the place to be. Click the pic.
1986 Tickertape Parade
Dan's photos from the 1986 tickertape parade. You know, 25 seasons ago when the Mets won?
My Mets man-date wish
Call me nutty, and I don't expect him to say yes or even know about this..but here's who I'd like to see a game with. Click the link and I'll tell you what we'll do.
Pix: trainer's room + clubhouse
Jimmy went on the season ticket holder's tour and took some photos including the Mets clubhouse and the infamous trainer's room. Click the pic.
The Mets Respond To Our Letter
Dan from Mets Police wrote the Mets a letter, Craig Marino the VP of Guest Experience called him back, and responded to many of our criticisms. A must read, click the pic.