Thursday, January 14, 2010

(3) Comments

Mets, Beltran and Public Perception

SS

I've said this before, if you ever want to start a sports blog, pick
the Mets as your subject.

As the world wakes up we're hearing some version of a story where
Carlos Beltran got knee surgery without the Mets knowing. Oh and
he'll be out for the start of the season. I won't attempt to cover
the news part of the story and I haven't made my news-round yet but
here's the story for this site.

Once again the Mets come away looking like idiots.

Whether any if the "facts" below are accurate, perception is:
- Beltran won't be in the lineup for game 1
- the Mets are injured again
- Beltran didn't tell the Mets.

What do you think WFAN will be like today?

Last night I got on the Mets for not getting the word out about their
good deeds. This morning both WCBS and WFAN reported that the Yankees
have donated $500,000 to Haitian relief. Have the Mets? How would
we know?

I know I'm a dopey blog but guess what, people are reading it! Send
me stuff boys. Enjoy spin control today, I look forward to the easy
content.

Oh, and Media Goon isn't sure if he wants to give you money to see
your Beltran-less team. You probably should have just taken the cash
on one of the 5 times he called. Read below if you don't know what
I'm referring to, I can't link now, here's my train.

Sent from my iPhone

3 Responses to "Mets, Beltran and Public Perception"
Ceetar said :
January 14, 2010 at 7:42 AM
It's been my perception that the Yankees are always quick to tell people about their donation efforts. I've definitely heard about the Mets doing things to help as well (not specifically in this case) but it doesn't seem to be as vocal.


I figure this Beltran stuff is probably well exaggerated, but it doesn't change that it's bad news. Given that it's 12 weeks to opening day, it feels like Beltran may have pushed forward so he'd miss minimal time, whereas the Mets would probably have tried the rest and rehab approach that would've had him out until June.

The biggest, and really only, question is if this clears him for 2010. If this is the extent of the issues, and hes' back before April is over, we'll live with it. If he struggles with recovery and this is actually a precursor to the microfracture type surgery, this is beyond a disaster.
DyHrdMET said :
January 14, 2010 at 7:59 AM
I see the Mets have changed their medical protocol to "don't ask, don't tell".

To think, I wasted my "Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard" post on Mets injuries last May.
5w30 said :
January 14, 2010 at 9:54 AM
The Yankees are represented by the best public relations firm in New York ... Rubinstein Associates. Absolutely the best in terms of coverage and clout. Period. When Rubinstein calls, emails or writes ... the news media listen. To be honest, Rubinstein does their job for them. Who do you thinks writes those "missives" from G.M. Steinbrenner III?
The Mets are represented by God-knows-who, outside the broken-down in-house Jay Horwitz machine.
And with all the Dominican flavor on the Mets, aid to next-door Haiti should be a no-brainer. But then again, it's the Mets.

Post a Comment