This week I'm looking back at some of my favorite posts - this from February of 2009 with some suggestions for New Traditions for a new stadium. So far I'm 1 for 15 (Seaver) but I think the Castillo thing will stick. Who knew he'd drop a popup?
New digs, let's start some new traditions (and bring back some old ones).
I offer the following to the Wilpons and invite you to add suggestions.
1. Bring Back Oldtimers Day. Our '86 heroes are in their 50's now. Have them play those 2000 Subway Series guys, and have the 69ers and 73ers come and wave. Sprinkle in some Youngblood and Stearns action and you have something. Think the Shea closing ceremony with a game and without a depressing loss beforehand. The Mets might also want to add 40 to 1969 and see what number they get.
2. Banner Day. An actual unique Mets tradition. Bring it back. If you don't want to have a doubleheader just do it at noon some Sunday, maybe even on a Mr. Mets dash day. Just make sure ESPN keeps their hands off (no 8:05 starts).
3. Rusty's Ribs. Enough with the designer Pop Frites stands. Rip off the Orioles and have Rusty cook up some ribs.
4. Meet Me At The Apple. There was never any cool place to meet at Shea. Meet me at the Apple. The real one not the phony shiny new one.
5. Seaver Always Throws Out Opening Day. Don't mess around. Pay G.T.S. the money. Tom should be at every opening day until he dies, then Keith gets the tradition.
6. Hang a 17 on the fence.
7. Wear Pinstripes and blue hats six days a week. Wear whatever they want to sell on Sundays.
8. Bullpen cars with cap-tops. Even if they are never used, have the bullpen cars. They were cute and kids like them.
9. The new sign man. But not a shill-job. Pick one of the honest bloggers out there and let them have the job.
10. No wave. Let's just collectively decide we don't do the wave.
11. Organ music. Real organ music. Less techno-pop and loud rock songs. Live organ music.
12. The traditional Take Me Out To The Ballgame recording. The one from the guy that was the PA announcer in the 80's.
13. The Curly Shuffle. This stopped because the curly folks wanted to be paid. Just pay them. It can't cost any more than Enter Sandman did. Just play it.
14. Lady met returns.
15. The traditional booing of Luis Castillo. Inspired by commenter Thomas....after I booed Castillo on Wed for going oh for one, he then knocked in 4 runs. We Met fans will boo him during his first at bat, all season long as he wins the MVP and the Mets win a ring. It will be our version of roll call. For years when Luis shows up at Old Timers Day we shall boo him.
If you are visiting The Mets Police for the first time, welcome.
This blog aims to be a little different. We're less likely to complain about a pitching change than we are likely to complain about what the pitcher was wearing.
We're about Mets history and tradition. We'd like to see a Seaver statue at Citi Field. We'd like the black uniforms to go away. We'd like the team to always treat the fans with respect.
We're just regular old Mets fans like you who have migrated from the uppers to the Promenade where we were saddened when we found plexiglass. Finally, for all our complaining we just want the franchise to win the World Series (while nicely dressed).
The site is updated several times a day, usually morning, noon, and night (cliche but true) with other items as they come in.
Mets Police in no way claims to be news nor accurate, including anything to which we link. It's just a blog. Read the blog and/or take our advice at your own risk.
We strongly encourage everyone to support the New York Mets and their business partners, just don't wear a black jersey while doing so.
You get to pick 5 Mets. Who's your top 5? Doesn't this picture just make you happy? Click it and weigh in.
Most Popular (Jan 17)
New batting practice caps for 2010, Jason Bay t-shirts, McGwire shocks the world by announcing he took steroids, Beltrangate and more. Click the pic.
I asked fans for a list of Mets traditions, and we didn't come up with many. How is Banner Day any harder to have than a Mr. Met Dash? Either way it's people walking on dirt. Click the pic for the list.
Ticket office anecdotes
A collection of anecdotes related to Mets tickets, and my suggestion the Mets return 7 game packs and make Promenade Left the place to be. Click the pic.
1986 Tickertape Parade
Dan's photos from the 1986 tickertape parade. You know, 25 seasons ago when the Mets won?
My Mets man-date wish
Call me nutty, and I don't expect him to say yes or even know about this..but here's who I'd like to see a game with. Click the link and I'll tell you what we'll do.
Pix: trainer's room + clubhouse
Jimmy went on the season ticket holder's tour and took some photos including the Mets clubhouse and the infamous trainer's room. Click the pic.
The Mets Respond To Our Letter
Dan from Mets Police wrote the Mets a letter, Craig Marino the VP of Guest Experience called him back, and responded to many of our criticisms. A must read, click the pic.